I recut the baffle and routed out the insets for the speakers. I also recut the pieces for the sides as I wanted to make the enclosure deeper. The box is partly glued up now. I keep my glue in a used mustard bottle.
Glued box with baffle in front
This is how it will look.
I also remembered that the tweeter needs a separate enclosure and made a little round box to be mounted behind the tweeter. I should have used the router for this but it was tucked away so I used a couple of holesaws instead. The center hole will be used for the leads and then filled with hotglue.
I have chamfered the baffle edges and sanded everything to 240 grit. I let the dust settle and tomorrow I’ll apply primer.
I glued screws to the circular cutouts to make them into spikes to hold up the speakers when I paint them. That way I can paint all six sides in one take.
This is where the speakers will be recessed. I couldn’t cut circles that small with the circle cutting attachment for my Bosch router so I will have to do some research for how to cut circles that small. Worst case is that I have to route them freehand which I have done before but would like to avoid.
Cleaned out the garage some and started cutting up MDF to the surrounds and center.
I also have altered the design of the center speaker to have slanted front baffle.
Spackled and sanded like crazy yesterday and today I put on the first coat of paint on the stands. Looks kind of ugly but the first coat always does.
I glued the “tubes” and “flanges” yesterday. Today I glued (and screwed. everything is screwed) the feet to the lower flanges. The top will not be glued, only screwed for now. If it is not heavy enough I will add some sand to the tubes. If the top is not level I might fix that with shims.
Pre drilled a bunch of screw holes. I routed the holes in the center of the boards.
I worked long on the speaker stands today and made real progress. I have been meticulous with everything and taking my time. All parts cut up and mostly drilled. Still to do is cut the center hole in top and bottom parts, assembly and finish.
Continue reading Speaker stand progress
I have had speaker stands for several years now and thus haven’t had my speakers up and running either. I have now designed new stands for the front speakers which hopefully are more rigid than the old ones. I have also made the decision to remake the center and surround speaker enclosures.
Continue reading Updating the speakers